1. Balloons are permeable to O2!
Source - Knowledge accrued through chemistry - Ni(0).
2. Balloons are not permeable to moisture!
Source - Knowledge accrued through chemistry.
3. How do I really be air free in the lab?
-Degassing by argon sparging (15m) or freeze pump thaw? I've never seen a real difference here... the rumor is freeze-pump-thaw is more effective... (but sparging worked fine for Ni(0).)
-The solvent system solvents are oxygen free. I used to pull fresh ether straight from the solvent system and wash my Ni(cod)2.
-Schlenk flasks and use proper shlenk technique
-Use the golvebox
4. Remember, most of what we (BaranLab) do isn't that O2 sensitive, so don't worry too much. (However, we do a lot that needs to be water free!)
5. But Dane, you've got 3 balloons in your hood right now!
-yes, I know, they make me feel emotionally stable; we stir our homogenous reactions too, which is also unnecessary.
It is with all this in mind that I say: these new balloons are sweet as hell.